Saturday, May 26, 2018

Sleeveless Partlet Experiment

You might remember that I have been experimenting with different partlet styles. Here is the latest; cut to sit high around the neck and with no ties or cords to go around the waist to cause lumps and bumps and affect the line of the bodice.


I designed this one to be worn with a late Tudor/early Elizabethan gown. The back of the partlet is pinned to the back of my pair of bodies. Needing to have someone around to pin it into place is a negative element of the design, as often I don't have anyone to help me dress (which is why I favour front lacing gowns.) It's not as easy to get sitting right as my partlets with armholes - it takes a bit longer when getting dressed to make sure the front sections aren't tucked up. No problem if you have an attentive maidservant or lady in waiting!


The partlet is cut in one (vaguely) Y-shaped piece. The edges were hand stitched to form a very small hem.





I felt that this experiment had mixed success. I expected that the partlet would not sit well under the gown and possibly move around. This did not happen and the partlet stayed in place. However, I did find that the neckline was cut too close to the neck and was not very comfortable. I ended up folding the edges of the neckline under so it was more comfortable. I thought that it looked okay.
Now I am considering cutting the pattern down a bit to make it more comfortable...



Photo credit: M. Nicholas


No comments:

Post a Comment